BULLET POINTS: Comics News Roundup for November 14, 2011A comics news article
Bullet Points is Comics Bulletin's weekday roundup of some of the most notable news, criticism, tweets and other craziness of the comics industry.
Think of it as the entire comics internet shrunk down into one convenient article, for people with not enough time to check every single comics website on the Internet.
LOOK AT THIS
DC Comics have revealed what Darkseid looks like in the New 52. Looks… like Darkseid.
HERE'S THE NEWS
Let's Talk About the Frank Miller-Drawn Elephant in the Room
Over the weekend, the Internet threw a shit-fit over some comments Frank Miller made on his blog about Occupy Wall Street and other ensuing protests:
The "Occupy" movement, whether displaying itself on Wall Street or in the streets of Oakland (which has, with unspeakable cowardice, embraced it) is anything but an exercise of our blessed First Amendment. "Occupy" is nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness. These clowns can do nothing but harm America.
"Occupy" is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly-expressed attempt at anarchy, to the extent that the "movement" – HAH! Some "movement", except if the word "bowel" is attached - is anything more than an ugly fashion statement by a bunch of iPhone, iPad wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves.
The rest of the post has Miller tying his "you kids with your iPods" porch-ranting to his usual Islamophobia, surprising no one.
Let's be real here: Miller went nuts after 9/11 and it's pretty sad.
Ty Templeton's comic about it is the one to beat, though.
Top Shelf Launches Digital Comics Initiative
One more comics publisher steps into the 21st Century: Top Shelf now offers their digital content through such okatfirns as ComiXology, Graphicly, Comics+, Apple iBooks and Google Books. Great!
And they've got a crazy launch week sale:
- $1.99 for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 1910 by Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill
- $1.99 for Owly (Book 1) by Andy Runton
- $0.99 for Johnny Boo (Book 1) by James Kochalka
- $1.99 for Clumsy by Jeffrey Brown
- $2.99 for The Surrogates by Robert Venditti & Brett Weldele
DC's February 2012 Solicitations Are Up
Time to play "Spot the Creative Team Shakeups!"
Steed and Mrs. Peel
The Release Date: January 2012
The Creators: Grant Morrison, Ian Gibson
The Publisher: BOOM! Studios
The Skinny: Originally a three-issue prestige-format series from the early '90s, BOOM! Studios is reissuing this obscure Grant Morrison comic (based on the classic UK spy series The Avengers) as a six-issue affair.
Prejudgment: This was a surprising bit of news to find out in my inbox this morning. I managed to track down the first two issues of this series years ago, and it's a fun read. I'm excited to read it again.
Batman Beyond/Justice League Beyond
The Release Date: February 2012
The Creator: Adam Beechen and Norm Breyfogle/Dustin Nguyen/Derek Fridolfs
The Publisher: DC
The Skinny: DC Comics will release Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond in individual chapters digitally first before collecting them in the monthly 48-page Batman Beyond Unlimited print edition starting in February
Prejudgment: Nice to see DC experimenting with digital.
READ THIS COMIC
You can read the first issue of the amazing Marvel-themed indie creator anthology Strange Tales II for free on Marvel's website. Yessssssssssssssssss
LOOK WHO'S TALKING
- Chester Brown talks about Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography for Canada Reads 2012.
- Hey, remember DC Comics editor Andy Helfer? Timothy Callahan does.
- So you've broken into comics. Chris Eliopolos has some thoughts on how to stay in.
Holy Shit Can You Believe This Community News Edition
- @MrJohnnyRyan: At the movies pic.twitter.com/YsIfZA8E
- @Serafinowicz: I bet Adam Sandler is regretting that sex change.
- @devincf: I blame @WhitneyCummings
- @kenlowery: Remember how in DKSA Frank Miller made corporate takeover of government the villain? And now he can't figure out what OWS is about? Huh.
- @NateCosBOOM: No matter how old I get, the word "girth" will always be funny to me.
- @neveldinetaylor: “@misterpatches: Leonardo Dicaprio needs to do a movie with Neveldine & Taylor.” ONLY IF HE CAN PISS FIRE
- @WhitneyCummings: Can everyone just stop being a dick for like five minutes?
WATCH THIS VIDEO
Here's the video of the title track from the new Los Campesinos! album, Hello Sadness, which comes out this week. SO EXCITED.
Danny Djeljosevic is a comic book creator, award-winning filmmaker (assuming you have absolutely no follow-up questions), film/music critic for Spectrum Culture and Co-Managing Editor of Comics Bulletin. Follow him on Twitter at @djeljosevic or find him somewhere in San Diego, often wearing a hat. Read his comic, "Sgt. Death and his Metachromatic Men," over at Champion City Comics and check out his other comics at his Tumblr, Sequential Fuckery.