Comics You Can Dance To #18: Jeremy Whitley: About an Eight on the Gen13 ScaleA column article, Comics You Can Dance To by: Danny Djeljosevic, Nathaniel MacDonald
Comics You Can Dance To is Comics Bulletin's official podcast!
Hosted by Nathaniel MacDonald and Danny Djeljosevic (that's me) and supported by various jokers and guests, Comics You Can Dance To is devoted to discussing cool comics, pop culture nonsense and hopefully introducing you to some awesome music along the way.
This week our guest is Jeremy Whitley, creator and writer of the all-ages comic book Princeless for Action Lab, which was nominated for two Eisners this year: Best Single Issue and Best Publication for Kids (Ages 8-12). It's a great all-ages comic that subverts traditional Disney movie gender roles while still being incredibly funny and entertaining. He's also got two new comics coming down the pike, Order of Dagonet and the anthology special Princeless: Short Stories for Warrior Women, both from Action Lab.
It's a grand ol' time we have with Jeremy, during which we discuss gender roles in comics, skimpy female costumes, come up with Indie/Marvel Amalgams that will never happen and somehow use J. Scott Campbell as a springboard for a bold new method of judging comics. Also, there's some discussion of the weather.
Listen at the player thingie below, or click here to download.
Also! Don't forget to subscribe to us on iTunes! Leave us a review if you can, tell all your friends, etc.
Our SDCC interview extravaganza! Featuring Becky Cloonan, Jim Zub, Andy Belanger, Vera Brosgol and Ed Brisson!
Jump to 0:12:27 for our interview with Jeremy Whitley!
Jump to 1:16:00 for the weekly comics/pop culture talk!
Jump to 1:42:36 for this episode's featured song!
- This episode was recorded before Comic-Con, so WHOOPS. Also, we never found Jeremy on the convention floor. (frowning animated emoticon)
- You're gonna have to look up guro manga yourself. Shintaro Kago's a good creator to research.
- Kickstarters that we brought up: Sullivan's Sluggers, Uzomuzo: Alternative Comics from Japan, Mulberry, Trip Fantastic, Halloween Eve
- Check out Nate on We Draw Comics.
- I think these were the Kate Beaton torso comics we were talking about.
- Those Cheat Commandos shorts are pretty much like the old G.I. Joe cartoon
Here are the comics/pop culture things we talked about!
Here's the playlist for this episode!
As for the rest…click on the links to check out the artists and/or full versions of the songs.
Find Out More About Jeremy Whitley!
- Follow Jeremy on Twitter at @jrome58
- Check out princelesscomic.tumblr.com for more about Princeless
- Don't forget Action Lab Comics, publisher of Princeless
- Check out Jeremy's studio, Firetower Studios
Tweet at me, bro:
- Nate is with the ghosts at @lentilstew
- Danny mentions gifs but never shares them at @djeljosevic
- Andrew Tan edited the podcast and discusses "shitting the bed" at @TandrewTan
As always, leave a comment and let us know what we're doing right! Or email us. That works, too.