Comics You Can Dance To #17: Knowledgeable Fart Child w/ Phil McAndrewA column article, Comics You Can Dance To by: Danny Djeljosevic, Nathaniel MacDonald
Hosted by Nathaniel MacDonald and Danny Djeljosevic (that's me) and supported by various jokers and guests, Comics You Can Dance To is devoted to discussing cool comics, pop culture nonsense and hopefully introducing you to some awesome music along the way.
Whoa, this week we have a live episode! That is to say, we recorded the podcast with a guest that wasn't trapped inside a laptop. Artist, comicker and all-around nice guy Phil McAndrew is a San Diego local, so we had an adult lunch at SD's very own Small Bar followed by recording at a nearby coffee shop where we talked about his work, artists we like, his Cartoon Network project and his upcoming book of comics from Grimalkin Press. Also, we coined the phrase "Canadian treasure."
Listen at the player thingie below, or click here to download.
Also! Don't forget to subscribe to us on iTunes! Leave us a review if you can, tell all your friends, etc.
Princeless creator Jeremy Whitley drops in to talk all-ages comics and other fun stuff.
- Jump to 1:39:27 for this episode's featured song!
- Please say good stuff about our impressions of cars
- Rat Fink was created by Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, not Basil Wolverton as we assumed. But you can understand our confusion.
- Check out who contributed to Nickelodeon Magazine.
- You really should have gone to the Crazy Rattlesnake Treehouse Gang comics reading. Or get a time machine and go to that on July 12, 2012.
- Bill Murray is not Canadian.
- Dan Aykroyd is.
- We Draw Comics is an awesome site.
- Also, who wants to help us start a comics awards show that gives out championship belts instead of statues?
- So, at the end I kind of spitball ideas about Spider-Man being inspired by luchadores in the Andrew Garfield reboot. It's important to note that that movie was NOT out yet when we had this conversation, so it's eerily prophetic, like a Tupac album.
- "¡En calor!" is NOT Spanish for "in color," but rather "in heat" -- I KNOW WHAT I SAID
Here's a long list of all the awesome comics people we mention:
- Rebecca Sugar
- Jesse Moynihan
- David King
- Kent Osborne's Babycat
- Becky & Frank
- Mare Odomo
- Dustin Harbin
- Michael DeForge
- Kate Beaton
- Steve Wolfhard
- Annie Koyama
- Pendleton Ward
- Tyler Hutchison
- Zach Marcus
- KC Green
- John Keogh
Here's the playlist for this episode!
As for the rest…
(Click on the links to check out the artists and/or full versions of the songs.)
- Palmas - "While We While"
- Archers - "Super Blues"
Both from the new PDX Pop Now! compilation.
Find Out More About Phil McAndrew!
- Follow Phil on Twitter at @philmcandrew
- Check out Phil's website
- You gotta hunt for his Tumblr
- Make sure to pick up Phil's book from Grimalkin Press... whenever it comes out?
- Look out for Phil's cover to Adventure Time #8 this September!
- If you're a creative person, you should read his "Super Obvious Secrets That I Wish They'd Teach in Art School"
- Check out Icki Lip, where he and Vicki Nerino draw awful/wonderful things
- Also his comic Feral Pizza
- My favorite Phil comic is "Are You Man Enough?"
- I also really like "Come in, Bald Eagle"
- Look at this: A Powerful Wizard Hires You as an Intern
Tweet at me, bro:
- Nate has dreams about @aRealLiveGhost becoming a mill wheel @lentilstew
- Danny probably lost all his friends with that #RejectedOlympicEvents joke cycle at @djeljosevic
- Andrew Tan really, really wants to hang out with Tyler the Creator @TandrewTan
As always, leave a comment and let us know what we're doing right! Or email us. That works, too.